Interview with Anima Damnata done by Patrick
We are ANIMA DAMNATA, Satanic Death Metal band dedicated to deliver the most uncompromised musical expression. Poland is a peaceful country famous from beautiful women, vodka and xenophobia, we are proud of it.
2. Anima Damnata was formed in 1996 when did you first decide to start this band?And who would you say are the bands biggest influences?
Being rebellious teenagers fascinated with black arts and extreme metal we were striving to become a vital part of one of the best Underground scenes in the world. Our aim was to mix the bestiality of bands like Blasphemy or Beherit with the US-style Death Metal embodied by Deicide, Acheron, Incantation, Suffocation etc. These bands were the biggest influence for us at that times.
3. In the early years of the band did you all trade demo's with other bands around the world? Where were some countries you mailed the demo's to?
The first demo of ANIMA DAMNATA was recorded in 1998 but we weren't satisfied with the result – the music was way too soft. After the few line-up changes the band recorded the second demo in 2001. At that time tape trading started to decay and we didn't trade much copies. Our goal was to record full-length album what we did the same year. Although it was released as a split with Throneum we consider the „Suicidal allegiance...” to be the first album of ANIMA DAMNATA
In the nineties we had plenty of fanzines in Poland. Many xeroed ones but also few professionally color printed. As far as I remember the best ones were Vox Mortis, Infernal Death, Equilibrium Of Noise and Heretyk. With the increasing availability of international fanzines we were also reaching for them. I still have some old copies of Grimoire of Exalted Deeds.
5. Nefarious Seed Grows To Bring Forth Supremacy Of The Beast is the bands newest release which is being released through Godz Ov War Prod.How did you and the band come in contact with this great label?
Actually „Nefarious Seed...” is released in cooperation between Godz Ov War and Malignant Voices. We know each other for some time and we just sent them our new tracks. They were immediately interested in releasing our new album.
Music and lyrics for the „Nefarious Seed...” were actually ready around 2010. Due to some real life shit we had to delay the recording session, which took place between 2014-2016. We made merely some minor changes during the recording. The album was composed and recorded by the Master of depraved dreaming and Emperor of the Black Abyss the Great Lord Hziulquoigmzhah Cxaxukluth and Archangel of Evil Spells, Morbid Priest of Arcane Perfection vel Necrosodom.
It seems that there is limited availability of our previous albums. It will definitely change after the great success of "Nefarious Seed...". For the band's merchandise you need to check the official website and facebook. It will be announced there.
8. Does Anima Damnata play live very often or do you prefer to work in the studio?What have been some of the bands most memorable shows over the years?And who are some bands you have shared the stage with?
We are aiming to play quality shows. We are not scavengers looking for any opportunity to do some noise, not anymore. Since 2000 we played around 50 shows with bands like Infernal War, Throneum, Azarath, Witchmaster, Incantation, Inquisition, Napalm Death, Behemoth and more. The most memorable shows were played with Disgorge (Mex.) in 2001 as well as Glorior Belli in 2007 (we had a crazy afterparty that night).
9. Are their any shows or tours coming up in support of Nefarious Seed Grows To Bring Forth Supremacy Of The Beast?If yes where will the band be playing?
We are very seriously thinking about a small European tour. Fans in the Europe deserve to see us live. It would be great to meet with the fans from South and North America.
10. What does underground metal mean to you?
This is our lifestyle. Melting for more than 20 years in the Metal Underground stigmatized us permanently.
11. Anima Damnata comes out of Poland's death,black metal scene what is your opinion of the metal scene in Poland?
The Underground scene in Poland struggles with the same problems as elsewhere – the overwhelming mediocrity. There are so many bands which should never leave the basement (or I should say bedroom – more accurate nowadays). It became so affordable to record any shit and spread it over the internet. Besides this I still consider Polish Underground being among the best, the most original and extreme over the world.
12. Who are your all-time favorite Polish bands and are their any new bands you feel the readers should check out?
The best Polish band was Damnation. The newer bands being worth to check are: Kingdom, Stillborn, Rites of Daath, Cultes Des Ghoules and Non Opus Dei.
13. Besides playing in Anima Damnata do you or any of the members play with any other bands these days?
Members of ANIMA DAMNATA are involved in the following bands: Deus Mortem, Devilpriest, Mord and Stillborn.
14. I believe I read on the bands website that you all study Satanism and occult subjects when did you become interested in studing these subjects?
It seems like you need to review your beliefs. Anyway we are cultivating and exploring satanism and black arts for at least twenty years. This is how we live, think and breath.
15. Who are some Satanists and occultists you like to study?
We are still reading the works of Crowley and La Vey. Besides this we like the works of M. Ford as well as those originating from Order Of Nine Angels.
16. Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out do you all have any final words for the readers?
Squash the posers, despise the trends, support the extreme and relentless. Hail Satan.